Tuesday, 25 August 2009

first batch!

I took a few hours off on sunday from a commision I am trying to finish To paint a few Frenchies.
Here is my first batch of 8. I was hoping to do a WIP post, but the first few pictures I took were blurred. When I have more time I will do a more detailed account from start to finish. As I have so many to paint and I want them to look good as a whole rather than as single figures I have taken a few shortcuts. They have only been given 2 shades instead of my usual 3-5. The only extra highlight has been on the faces. I wasnt brave enough to try the "army painter" varnish, instead to help speed things up I have used GW washes on the skintones and blue jackets.

the most time consuming parts were painting the white and detailing the lining. These probably took as much time to do as everything else put together. It is very hard to resist the temptation to go back to them and add that extra highlight which I know will make them look so much better, I need to keep my eye on the big picture. All I have left to do is dirty the trousers and lower parts of the greatcoats, for this i will use my chalk pastels when i can find them....